Tuesday, February 13, 2018

One Star for McMegan

TL;DR - Do your part to embarrass McArdle - go here and vote my review helpful.

So we all know about the New York Times. We know that, courtesy of the most anti-press administration since Nixon's nose was growing, the NYT has enjoyed a lot of love from the American left over the past year. We also know that they've celebrated by employing a select group of interns to wipe their asses with every paper headed to everyone left-of-center - figuratively, of course, at least as far as I know.

Well, it seems that the Washington Post has felt left out. Hot on the heels of the excellent film The Post highlighting their critical role in protecting press freedom, they've decided to hire someone most famous for joking about beating people with whom she disagreed about the War on Iraq. Yes, our own Megan McArdle has once again tripped and fallen upwards. Beautiful timing, too, given that this was the last thing she did that had any impact. I'll grant that Megs didn't realize how out-of-touch that piece made her look, but I do have to love the little self-blind Twitter tantrum she threw once the reviews started rolling in. I'm sure that really pleased them at the Post, although anyone hiring McArdle has to be prepared for that sort of thing.

At this point, I suspect that these hirings are an attempt - in the name of "fairness" - to clean the Trump-stink off of the American right, a political movement that by all rights should be sinking into the Marianas Trench as we speak. Allowing this to happen would be a woeful violation of the tenets of the High and Holy Church of Bothsiderism which, after all, requires two sides. So now enters Megan McArdle as the latest wingnut diversity hire, here to help test the lifeboats before they're floated out to sea. Because sure, she may be lazy and careless and ethically questionable and a terrible writer and lacking not merely empathy but even basic human sentimentality, but she's not an overt racist so she's already improving their image.

The first complete series I finished for this moribund little archive was on McArdle's book The Upside of Down, and you've better believe that I've been pimping that one out. However, I'd really like to celebrate McArdle's promotion by getting my Amazon review of the book pushed to the front page. I tried this with The Road to Character and briefly appeared right under the book before the expected ass-kissing pushed it back down. Fortunately, McArdle is not nearly as celebrated as David Brooks so I'm hoping this will be an easier hill to climb. Just go here, vote it useful, and maybe leave a comment telling me how brilliant I am.

Thanks bunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment